Monday, June 05, 2006

Focus

It's amazing how much can be learnt from sitting back and observing people. Some insights were to be had from observing a kid barely out of his teens driving an autorickshaw. This morning, I naturally over-slept and woke up a half hour later than usual. As my car was unavailable today, I decided to travel by the local trains. The only catch was that peak hours were tapering off and no autorickshaw driver was willing to take me to the station - a journey that is always undertaken during peak hours. In between sighs and some rich expletives, I briefly toyed with the idea of taking a cab to work, when this autorickshaw halted next to me. I swore that if this guy also refused to take me, I would take a taxi to work. When I looked at him, I was sure that he would agree. He seemed just about old enough for a license and keen on taking as much business as possible. Some people exude that charm.

As soon as I seated, the rickshaw sped away, and I realized that this is a four-stroke engine and revving much faster and moving much better than other rickshaws in this city. Sure enough, pedestrians cut across the road, a student of "Excellence" Motor Training School made sure he was on the wrong lane, trucks seemed that they would collapse into a debris of metal and Bunty Kapoor in his Octavia made sure he would cut in front. Pretty soon, there were BEST buses overtaking from both sides (that is a scary experience), and the traffic signals had all failed. The rickshaw driver continued to zig while everyone around zagged.

All this while, I was mentally rehearsing the expletives at each encumbrance. I couldn't say such things to the fine bus drivers; they were meant for the "Excellence" Motor Training School student. How dare I question the origin of that lovely pedestrian; the origins of the truck driver was far more questionable.

The journey takes around twelve minutes under normal conditions; the kid made it in seven. He pretended not to have change for the twenty I gave him. I didn't press for the change either; he had earned it.

2 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, June 05, 2006, Blogger Persona non gratis said...

Come visit calcutta sometime, you would probably tip that kid.

 
At 11:33 AM, June 07, 2006, Blogger HazyColours said...

Some of my recent experiences in Cal rides have been fairly exciting. I wonder which city's taxi drivers put the maximum fear of god in you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home