Friday, June 24, 2005

Tag - you're it!

Thanks, Ms Disarticulation, for tagging me. My literary ignorance stands exposed. Well....you can fool some of the people all of the time .... etc.

As a return favour, would suggest a Music series as I'm more comfortable with music.

Pleasant distraction this, from my inability to proceed on the earlier post, "Part 3..." Here goes:

Total Books I own:
Actually, very little. I've borrowed heavily over time from parents, siblings, friends etc. and bought those that I really liked and returned the rest.

Last book I bought:
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I think that Douglas Adams was a one-trick pony, but what a trick!

Last book that I was gifted:
"White Wine for Dummies" and "Complete works of Oscar Wilde"....on my birthday last December.
I enjoy both of them immensely, and quoting Oscar Wilde over several glasses of white wine while passing the quotes off as my own is turning out to be an enjoyable hobby!
[Editor's note: Question is, who does he think he's kidding?]

Last book I read:
The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho and The Call of the Vedas.
Yes, I tend to read multiple books at the same time...am never content with reading one at a time. Go figure!

Currently reading:
Godel, Escher and Bach and Conversations with God - part 3
would highly recommend both

Books / works that mean a lot to me:
1. Peanuts by Charles Schultz
Reading Snoopy going,"Here comes the World War I flying ace veteran.....Every veteran's day, Ole Bill and I quaff root beer..." over a hot cuppa coffee on a rainy day makes me go, "Charlie Schultz, I bow before you"

2. Discovery of India by Jawaharlal Nehru
Most (if not all) of his policies do not make sense, but what a wonderful and concise description of Indian History

3. Alchemist by Paulo Coellho
No need to explain this one. One of the few books I've re-read.....I tend not to read works more than once

4. Mahabharat by C Rajagopalchari
As a favourite professor of mine would say,"What is in this story, is. What is not in this story, is not". Could not agree more.

5. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
Yes, sorry to sound pretentious, but this work has moved me immensely. Had to read the book three times just to scratch the surface. My barometer for a work of Art is the number of questions raised rather than the number of answers provided. This work raised a lot of questions; whether you like the questions are not, you'll never be the same again after having asked them.

To be honest, it is difficult to select five works out of the many creations of several geniuses. Also, music tends to impact me more significantly than the written word. Am on a Western classical trip after a life-time dosage of '70s ..... Liszt, Bach, Mozart, Chopin, Antonin Dvorak, Beethoven etc. Attempted Indian Carnatic music, but realized am way out of my depths here. Ah well....a journey of a thousand miles....


Books that I plan to read soon:
1. Treasure of American Poetry....have had sneak previews of poets like Edgar Allen Poe and Henry David Thoreau, but I shall spend more concerted efforts in completing the works.

2. Stories from the Upanishad

3. TrotterNama ... by I Allen Sealey. Again, am guilty of enjoying the smell of a book, but not actually got around to reading the book.

4. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Have stared at this slim volume for four months now, and someday I shall pick it up.

I tell you, some people are lazy...

Worst book(s) ever:
Most works of V S Naipaul

PS I reserve the right to change the list on an ongoing basis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home