Thursday, July 21, 2005

Crossword for a Mumbai Monsoon


















*******
Ah! A pleasure to master the art of disguising work through recreational activity (and yet insist on a salary).

Today's recreational activity is to surf through various tests available on www.emode.com. Hmmm.... came across an old test that tested my ESP skills and informed me that I possessed the power of precognition - the uncanny ability to see into the future.

I always knew I'd get discovered.

*******
Economists though, are what I refer to as "Inverse Psychics". They have the uncanny ability to predict the past. It's the future they have difficulties with.

*******
However, it's my IQ test that has me livid. Even when I cheat, I don't break into the "genius club".

I intensely dislike any game which offers little scope for cheating or sledging; however, please note I am not a 24 / 7 sledger. I choose the occasion wisely.

Like when am about to be check-mated in chess (yes, sledging in chess can be fun) by someone who is not physically daunting, I describe his sister in apt detail. After that, a fight breaks out, and the game loses importance. If the opponent is physically daunting, I ask about his gym routine. Same result.

Same with poker / "teen patti" ... you can bluff your way with impunity if you know what the other guy doesn't want you to do. Doesn't work with blackjack though.

*******
My favourite sledge in any game is - rough translation in English - "Hey pretty boy. You'd look good in a skirt. Send your mama next time". In exchange, I'd be called a "pretty girl". Fine art, this.

It gets more graphic during a fit of road-rage.

What's yours?

*******
Man, compared to what my job responsibilities are and what I end up doing, I don't think this country has a bright future!

*******
NO! Say it isn't so!

Just when I was happy that I had some surplus money after a long time, I've been informed that the tax-man cometh! Apparently, there is an unpaid income-tax liability that I need to pay up, with so many zeros that I need to throw up. Just when I was thinking of that O2 XDA-II and a vacation.

Why is the Art of Living more like the Art of Compromise? Everytime you think you've taken a step forward, you realize the compass is a bit crooked and you've actually taken a step side-ways.

Tax is the "vile"-est form of scum. When I think of the taxes I've paid for the year gone by, and the state of disarray this nation is in, I feel like throwing in the towel.

There is but one solution, I shall henceforth be paid in cash. If you can't lick 'em....

*******
Am bleeding to death and taxes
Am drowning my sorrow in poetry
Am reading "Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes
Personally, I wouldn't hire the Highwayman for a corporate job
He missed important deadlines
Sorry ... am in that sort of mood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home